What I do

This blog is an open forum to talk about the real important issues that need to be talked about. Or just the real funny issues that people want to talk about...(note: My grammar and spelling are terrible, its part of the charm.)

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

THE CHAMPS ARE HERE


I was going to blog about something else today, but something happen last night that was a first for me.

I became an intramural sport champion! In a legit sportsmonster highest level tennis league, my team the "Natural Bjorn Winners" took home the title. I never thought this would mean so much to me but it does. Let me give you a little history on my intramural sport experiences.

Intramural sports first came into my life as in college. It started off with football, and as we practiced we looked good, we had plays, positions, coaches and more. We had the whole nine yards which is about as many yards as we averaged a game. I thought we would be able to succeed in the University of Illinois intramural football league. Little did I know that when I walked onto the field with AE on my jersey I was an instant laughing stock. To say the least every other team was bigger, faster, stronger, better passers, better catches, could jump higher, etc. So football was not going to work.


Next, I moved on to basketball, which I thought I was decent at. We played basketball all the time at our frat house, and I was pretty good on the court. So we decided to take it to the intramural court. Again same result, we would get slaughtered every game, lots of fighting between teammates, an overall disaster. Every other team again was bigger, faster, stronger, better shooters, rebounding, etc.


I thought we found our calling with a little known sport called Broomball. This is played on the ice, so being fast doesn't really help. Even being fat can have an advantage, especially when playing goalie. But again everyone was better than us, faster, stronger, scored more, etc.

Moving on, to Dodge ball. I really thought we had found a winner here. All we had to do is get out of the way of sh*t. Not that hard. Season rolls around and we are playing great. We go undefeated in the regular season. We cruise through the playoffs and on to the finals we go. Coming into the finals I thought this was my chance, a golden opportunity. And then walked in the DODGING ILLINI. Those fu*kers, a school dodge ball team, that played nationally, it was ridiculous. They had plays, formations, kill moves. We got killed, wiped off the floors by this group of losers that spend 10 hours a day playing dodge ball. Fu*k you Dodging Illini. Again another intramural disaster.

That was the end of college intramural sports, but now we were out of college still nonathletic but we were smarter. We thought we out smarted the system when we signed up for the JCC (Jewish Community Center) basketball league. Finally, playing against 5'6 - 5'10 hairy, slow jewish kids like ourselves. WRONG. We turned out the be the only jews, and only nonathletic team in the league and again leading to disaster. (note: We did beat a team of randoms)

I was really down after that, until now that is, because I have been given new life.

I would like to give much thanks to Hillary, Becca, and Blum my beloved "Natural Bjorn Winners" tennis teammates. We were solid throughout the entire season, made it through rain outs, freezing weather, unbearable heat, breakdowns, broken rackets, and a occasional lose. But when pushed up against a wall, the Natural Bjorn Winners pushed back with force. Last night in a double header, under the lights on Waveland and Lakeshore, The Natural Bjorn Winners brought home a smashing victory. "The Natural Bjorn Winners", will forever have a special place in my heart. Thank you guys!

Crazy C going out for a beer ---


1 comment:

  1. Great Blog. Epic Team, huge win. Although I still have nightmares about the dodging illini. It feels good to get that monkey off my back that has been their since our match versus New Trier circa 02'. I definitely like our chances of repeating, if Hillary and Becca can be kept on the roster.

    ReplyDelete